Where: Various locations on the Near Shore
What: How many ways can “Let’s go out” be interpreted?
Warnings: Knowing them, something awkward/cute/hot/feels is going to happen.
( One Nice Not-a-Date Evening Outing )
Here we are again, bringing you the news of Near and Far Shore events for the month of September!
The Near Shore
- The summer holidays are coming to an end, and a few big typhoons are heading for Japan. Time to clear off the beaches and make sure you pack a poncho!
- Students are scrambling to finish their summer homework before the beginning of classes.
- A powerful typhoon is forecast to cross the main island just north of Tokyo between August 29 and 30.
- There's a new craze in town: to fight the hot, humid weather, brightly colored handkerchiefs with built-in cooling gel packs are for sale! They might look a little silly and bulky tied around your head or neck, but they're great for a hot day.
The Far Shore
- Activity among the old gods and shinki has picked back up now that they're no longer busy with Obon.
- Amaterasu's temple looks like new again, but her shinki are now keeping it under close guard. No one can stop too close to her temple grounds for more than a few minutes before a patrolling shinki stops them to ask questions.
- The spider lilies are fading. One or two can still be found in full bloom, but most of them are nothing more than drying sticks, and as the flowers fade the voices fall quiet, too.
- Someone is hanging wind bells all over the Heavens. Their melodious chime is beautiful, but it might make it a little difficult to sleep.
- With the end of the summer holidays, worried schoolchildren are attracting ayakashi to school buildings again.
- A giant blob ayakashi can be found lurking near school buildings. It lures children away from class and encourages them to wait aimlessly with it around the corner of the building.
It might just want friends, but someone needs to help shoo it away so those kids can go back to school.
- Wasp ayakashi are swarming around swap meets and flea markets on the weekends. It seems like the more they sting, the angrier sellers and buyers get, and the more ayakashi show up for the scene. If someone doesn't handle the ayakashi, there could be a fight....
- Here you can see the weather starting on August 21.
- A brand-new department store in the suburbs of Tokyo is celebrating its grand opening, but for some reason, both the shoppers and the employees have been having the worst luck ever! It seems like everything's going wrong, and their prayers for help have reached to the Heavens. Gods and shinki alike have been asked to help the grand opening go well and to uncover the source of the shoppers' curse.
- IC Date: August 21
- If you have any questions, feel free to reply to the comment marked 'Event' on this post.
- To participate in the event, you will just need to comment to the event log after it goes up on September 1 at 7PM EST.
In response to suggestions on our State of the Game post, we'd like to bring you this new section of the Monthly Announcements.
- Mira, our Deku player, has compiled a list of major events dating back to the beginning of the game. It can be found here for your reference. Thank you, Mira!
- Last month on August 10th, gods and shinki helped the Obon season finish peacefully by guiding spirits back to their rest and keeping ayakashi away.
- On August 15th, new arrivals were brought to Bishamon's temple for orientation and training.
- If your characters have been up to anything this month that other characters may have noticed -- parties, ayakashi attacks, violent rampages through the Far Shore -- leave a comment on this post to let your fellow players know what's going on.
Date: August 17th, morning
[ Pursuant to a conversation he’s had with Shizuo, Tatara’s become curious about a particular topic he was a bit too exhausted to delve properly into, (especially with a man he’d just met).
But, who better to ask than the Far Shore?
So Tatara flips on the video feed, his face clearly visible. He’s seated at some kind of breakfast bar. a countertop covered with odds and ends of knickknacks. A fish, (who may or may not be familiar to some), in a small tank swims in the background. ]
A friend recently mentioned something to me -- something called an “ablution”.
Previously, I knew only that they’re for a shinki who has been very bad, and blighted their god. But, I wonder... exactly how bad would a shinki have to be to warrant an ablution? What’s the process like? What are the chances of success?
[ He pauses here. In immediate retrospect, this all looks pretty bad, doesn’t it? So Tatara waves his hands at the camera feed for a moment, shaking his head. ]
I’m not asking for myself, of course! [ A patter of nervous laughter. Neither of his shinki have done nothing wrong, he promises! ] Just curious, that’s all!
Hello? Excuse me? Hello?
[It is immediately clear that the person recording this is very new to the concept of cellphones, let alone video recordings. And for the moment texts are simply out of the question, after all it was only by sheer happenstance that Delmar stumbled upon the video record button in the first place. Therefore, the screen starts out all too close to a single bright brown iris as Delmar tries to ascertain if this strange little device is on but soon enough he gets his baring and holds it out at arm's length, blinking up at it shyly. His front teeth trap his lower lip a moment as he pokes a finger timidly at the screen]
Oh dear, I hope this is working. Hello [A little awkward wave] I am very sorry to trouble all of you, but I was, um, I was hoping to perhaps find a person who might know how to sew? I know a little but not enough for--Ah. Right I should show you, shouldn't I?
[He daintily sets down the phone and shuffling noises can be heard as he grabs for something. After a moment he returns, holding up a strange teddy bear - lamp fusion ]
-- I was hoping maybe somebody could help me with this. I do feel sorry for him. I would like it very much if he could get the chance to be a real teddy bear. That would be nice, wouldn't it?
[Delmar smiles at it a second before patting it and setting it back down somewhere offscreen.]Thank you all very much for your time. I hope I have not inconvenienced any of you.
[His eyes go wide as he is struck by his own forgetfulness ]Oh- And my name is Delmar. Hello!
[Another little wave followed by a bit more fumbling before the video ends]
(A pack of wolves is surely a welcome sight? No? They smile and nip at one another, showing teeth that can easily rend a man apart.)
Robb, do not tease your sister so! (Sansa holds out her hand, walking into frame. The largest wolf breaks free of his free-spirited family and trots up to her. He is rewarded with fresh morsels of meat and a good ear scratch.)
Arya, I have not forgotten you. (Another wolf - this one smaller and darker - edges closer to receive her treat.)
Jon, Bran, Rickon, you too. (Each wolf takes after their namesake in some way: Jon is white, Bran has reddish-brown fur and Rickon is the smallest of the pack, barely out of the puppy stage. Sansa removes her gloves after feeding them and drops a kiss on Robb's head.)
Do not stray far from the temple. I like hearing you sing at night.
Welcome to Hadriel's test drive, and thank you again for your interest in the game! As always, our reserves page is here, and our applications page is here! Reserves open August 25th, and apps are open September 1st. Please remember that there is an app cap of 20 apps.
Two quick points here as well:1. Any thread made in Hadriel's test drive will be accepted as the sole Action Log sample in the application.
2. All threads made in the test drive can be considered game canon, either through handwaving or through a shared mental experience while coming through the Door!
Test drives will be broken up into specific god mini-events, during which your characters can see how well they fare under the watchful eye of one of the gods. Choose wisely or just simply pick 'em all, and have fun!
F E A R
SCENARIO ONE: SLIPPERY NAKED PEOPLE
[The Door brings in all that is chaotic and evil in the world. This may include you, may include the person next to you... and may include the monster behind you.
No big deal, but there's a freaky wall-climbing zombie thing stalking you. Maybe you should get inside? Or run. Or just accept death. This time, the Door has brought in some Descendants, from the Uncharted video game.
Descendents are emaciated, man-eating monsters that used to be normal people until affected by a virus - you know how that goes! Terribly, always. They are fast and agile and quite strong, and they will stalk you and crawl up walls and maybe break your neck if they can. Badass.]
S O R R O W / H O P E
SCENARIO TWO: THE FUTURE ISN'T BRIGHT
[You found a mirror. It's your mirror, created just for you, and when you look into it - well. You might not want to look more than once, because it shows an image of the worst possible future you could imagine for yourself. Maybe you're dead. Maybe someone you love it. Maybe you've lost everything. Basically, it sucks.
What are you gonna do? Throw it away? Smash it? Keep looking over and over because you love pain? Or maybe someone else threw theirs away, and you're the one that found it. You really, really want to look. Invasive, maybe, but your curiosity is killing you. Just a peek...
This is a mini version of our Bad End event this month.]
L O V E
SCENARIO THREE: VISIT ME AND EXPLAIN YOUR PASSIONS
[You know that totally inconsequential hobby? The one that you love? Or maybe your favorite TV show or comic book? Wouldn't it be great if you had someone to talk to about it? Someone who would listen patiently while you explain the family tree from that obscure fantasy novel you reread every year?
Well, wait no longer! Your time is now! The moment you make eye contact with someone, you'll know they want to listen to you explain your obsession. They've just been waiting and hoping you'll come along and educate them! So go to town, buddy, tell them all about your waifu.
Or maybe a stranger just walked up to you and started talking about their favorite knitting pattern. That's... cool. Are you gonna interrupt them? Walk away? Get into an argument about how your favorite knitting pattern is so much better? Now's the time to show your passion, or possibly your complete disinterest! Go for it!]
When: August 5th
Where: Lakshmi's Temple
What: Grell and Will returning causes some feelings that needs to be dealt with by talking about them. Which is, you know, the most fun thing in the world.
( Feeling guilty over things you can't possibly control is stupid, but it's still a thing. )
When: Evening of August 16th
Where: The temple of Baron Samdi (Ronald Knox)
What: William calls an emergency meeting for any and all reapers. There is something they all need to be aware of. (And because it's being held at Ronnie's temple, you can expect it to devolve into more of a mixer once William stops preaching.)
( Attention All Reapers )
[Probably one. He's not holding his breath here.]
If you have any interest in learning glyphcrafting -- perhaps some minor magics as well, should you show potential -- please fill out an application. I have left them at the Clinic with Kate Galloway for accessibility.
[And also so he doesn't have to meet people in person to hand out these things.]
What: When a god leaves, there's always a few people who end up left behind. Chikusa and Ken deal with it in the only way they know how- badly.
When: August 16 to start with and some days after it
Where: The empty clearing where Hestia's temple used to be
Warnings: A closed ablution will be happening in one thread, so some mild body horror at the least. Also a pair of teenagers in mourning dealing with loss unhealthily.
( it might pass like a kidney stone but... )
Date: August 15, evening-- after the new arrivals show up
[Nami wastes no time. As soon as she finds herself back at this familiar place, as soon as she learns who her shinki is, as soon as she has the opportunity, she opens up her device to the BBS and fires it up to record the following message of utmost importance:]
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!?!?!?!?!
[So we need answers, are we clear on that? Good. Next items of business! Tone shifts from outraged to worried.]
Zoro, are you still here? You better tell me you’re all right or I'm going to kill you!
Yata, where are you? I’m coming to find you.